Monday, May 2, 2011

Bin Laden Dies, News Media Goes Crazy

I am sure we'll all retain a vivid memory of where we were when this news surfaced. I was watching Real Housewives of Orange County (yes, really), and noticed a Facebook post querying the rumor going around online.

So I dived into the crazed world of blanket coverage of an event where not so many details are known, and it's been fascinating to see facts emerge from supposition. A mansion became a compound. Assets became agents became Navy SEALs. And, as always, everyone was scrambling to find an angle. Because if you are any kind of news site, you need to be covering the biggest story. Even if it has no relevance whatsoever to your news focus.

Doug Aamoth knows this, and covers the point with humility and honesty:

I have to drag big news into my wheelhouse when possible, whether it affects me or not.

My inside source at CNN Money, Stacy Cowley, reacted:

It helps to club it on the head first. That's our tactic. Stun the news, then BAM, own it.

Nothing more need be said.

2 comments:

  1. I was shopping for mother's day presents. I texted Tom and when I got home we were glued to CNN. Curiously I noticed a disproportionate number of aussies reporting our news. I have noticed this about CNN before and meant to ask: What gives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. Stan Grant became internationally known after covering the tsunami in Indonesia a few years back - he's on CNN now. I have seen others too. Maybe CNN's pay is low by US standards but high for Australians.

    ReplyDelete